Monday, November 17, 2014

A White, Mildly Depressed Mormon RM Unveils His Secrets

This week on Tuesday I went and saw my counselor, Dr. McBride, because I've been feeling a lot more down than usual for the past couple of weeks.

All pictures blatantly stolen. This one's from "drhurd.com," which is a site I have never heard of and have absolutely no affiliation with or (obviously) loyalty to.

Even though I didn't learn anything earth-shattering, it's always helpful to have someone that I could talk to about my feelings when I'm down and can't seem to get back up. I first started seeing Dr. McBride back in April, when my post-mission depression was at its worst. Seeing him was a major part of the turning point I experienced, where my depression started to actually get better instead of worse. (The other parts of this turning point were 1) talking to my parents about it and 2) getting a priesthood blessing. My parents were the ones that set me up with Dr. McBride.)

At that time in April, I took a "depression/anxiety test" thing, in which you rate yourself on severity of a bunch of sympoms; anything under a score of 10 is pretty normal, 20ish is mild depression, 30 is moderate, and over 40 is getting pretty severe. (... I only very roughly remember those numbers so don't quote me on them.) 

Back in April I felt super depressed and scored I think a 21. This week I took the test again and scored a 17. I think that's accurate too, since I'm definitely not feeling near as bad as I was in April, but still bad enough that I need to change something in my life (which I hope to effect by seeing a counselor). 

When I had a girlfriend this last summer, a big mistake I made was always expecting her to completely fix any emotional negativity I might have felt at the moment. Since breaking up with her ~2 months ago, I've learned a number of coping strategies, things I can do on my own when I feel depressed. It is empowering to have these coping strategies, because this way I feel I can control my own emotions and not just expect someone to see that I'm sad and magically fix it. 

I sat down the other day and wrote in my journal some of the things I've done that have been most effective. I thought it might be interesting and perhaps even slightly helpful to someone to share them here. Presented in the order in which they came to mind (so perhaps subconsciously sorted by how well they stick in my mind, or perhaps by how recently I've done them):
  1. Going on long solitary walks
  2. Going on long walks with friends
  3. Distracting myself by watching a movie or TV show (one of my roommates (who is awesome by the way) allows me to use his netflix account, which, by the way, is completely legal, although I totally judged my big brother for using his mother-in-law's netflix account before I found that out)
  4. Getting in touch with my feelings, as opposed to sweeping them under the rug (i.e. writing about them, singing about them, listening to music that expresses them, playing music that expresses them)
  5. Talking to people specifically about being depressed (i.e. counselor, home teachers, friends; anybody that has suffered from any degree of depression is especially helpful)
  6. Getting enough sleep
  7. Exercising
  8. Playing trumpet/piano/guitar/singing
  9. Spending money (movies in the theater, concerts, new clothes, toys, computer games, etc.)
  10. Mindfulness Meditation
  11. Getting out into nature (Y Mountain is the closest piece of nature to me these days)
  12. Getting enough to eat, and staying hydrated
These are all things that I've done over the past 2 months. One of the things I like best about this list is that only two of them absolutely require any other person's involvement: #2 and #5. Some are awesome and easy and effective to use often, at least for me, e.g. #1. Others I try to limit (#9). Many of these are not options on a mission, unfortunately; I think it would be helpful if missionaries who were feeling stressed out were allowed to simply walk around town for a bit outside of proselyting time without talking to anybody and simply relax because that's something that has helped me tremendously now I'm back.

In my admittedly quite limited experience, the most important principles I've seen are to 

1) take responsibility for your own mental and emotional well-being, that is, not blaming it on anyone else (because you can change yourself, but it's really hard to change others) and 

2) find what works for you. If you were to hypothetically tell me that you're suffering from mild depression for the first time in your life and not sure what to do, I would recommend to you A) meeting with a counselor AND (not "or") B) getting a good book on the subject to help you understand the phenomenon in depth. I read When Panic Attacks by David Burns (he also wrote a very popular book called Feeling Good) and felt that reading the book helped me understand the mechanics of what was happening in my mind, whereas meeting with a counselor helped me to feel encouraged and apply the principles to my life. Plus, my counselor was the one that recommended that I get a book like that in the first place.

So lately I've been feeling alright about this whole depression thing. I admittedly don't suffer from very severe depression, just a mild version, so I urge us all to be mindful of people who do. If someone seems offended too easily, or withdrawn, or angry all the time, or unproductive, or lazy, or unfriendly, or self-absorbed, please keep in mind that it could very well be that they're depressed. When I feel that way I am extremely grateful for friends that offer love, attention, and acceptance that is in no way attached to what I achieve.

(Sorry if that last paragraph was preachy.)

Question: What do YOU do when you're stressed or depressed or anxious? What are the factors in your life that seem to affect your emotional state the most drastically? I'm actually really dying to know so if you would comment that would be fantastic.

5 comments:

  1. I started painting over the summer! And by painting, I mean I just write out whatever quote I find interesting at the time. I'd forgotten how good it feels to be creative, and I have something to hang up in my room when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled with anxiety and depression on my mission and my anxiety has continued after I came home. To help me sleep better and reduce anxiety, I've been doing something called Neurofeedback. Yeah, you can google that... Neurofeedback helps with a spectrum of things from anxiety and depression to drug rehab to ADHD to simply optimizing mental performance for school, work, or athletics. I've had great results with it, especially with increasing the duration and quality of my sleep, and decreasing anxiety. I want to send you an 'informational DVD' (cliche, I know). What's your address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have recently had a run-in with what felt like a mild depression and it was caused by feeling a complete lack of control with the way big things in my life were happening, and feeling useless. What really helped me was finding things to keep me busy, crafting little things for myself. I also really like to take walks on my own but it became a little bit tricky because I tend to suffer from scopophobia when alone in public, but once I got enough courage to go out, despite what my brain would tell me, it really helped.
    And unfortunately I can also relate to depending on your significant other to make you happy. Thankfully Kameron is something of a veteran when it comes to dealing with depression and we'd gotten to a really good place together in helping him deal with his depression, so when the tables were turned for the first time he came from a very understanding place and was extremely patient with me.
    It's been a humbling experience, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of a funny joke. I'll frequently hum or sing songs softly as I'm walking around on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those ideas! It's really good to take a proactive approach to coping with depression. At my low points as a missionary, I learned that moping in hopes that someone will take pity on us and give us what we want is not all that effective. I really have to take responsibility for my own happiness, because no one else will. Even God, who loves us infinitely, is not going to pick us up every time we fall, no matter how long we sit there and cry. He wants us to learn to pick ourselves up.

    As far as what I do, reading the scriptures really makes all the difference. it puts a perspective on what is really important because good and evil are so black and white. There are several chapters in Isaiah (like 41) and the Psalms (like 130) that are very comforting to those who are suffering. But anything else that gives me time to think, relax, smile, move forward, and regain control is always worth the time.

    ReplyDelete